Earth-Friendly, Natural, and Unique.
Sisal carpet is growing in popularity in the greater Mahwah, Paramus, Wayne, and North Jersey area because of its rustic look and its earth-friendliness. The carpets are made from the fibers of a cactus-like plant called Agave sisalana, native to Africa and Brazil. Once the leaves are cut, the fibers are extracted. These fibers are cut, dried, and treated to produce twine that can then be woven into rugs. There are many possibilities in terms of the weave pattern, and the photo above is just one example. Just like hemp and coir, sisal provides durability that most manmade materials can’t match. Because of its durability, sisal doesn’t show the wear patterns common in wall-to-wall carpeting.
Benefits of Sisal Carpet Flooring
- It’s naturally stain-resistant, so it doesn’t require any chemical treatments that may be harmful to children and pets.
- It repels dust and static electricity.
- It absorbs sound better than other carpeting material.
- It’s naturally flame-resistant.
- It can be combined with other natural fibers such as wool or sea grass.
Drawbacks of Sisal Carpet Flooring
- Sisal does not do well with moisture and should be avoided in a mudroom or bathroom.
- It may feel rough underfoot compared to traditional carpet materials, so it may not be best to sit or lie on for prolonged periods.
- Can be prone to color-fading especially with prolonged exposure to the sun.
Your Local Paramus Carpet Experts
Let the experts at Floor Coverings International North Jersey help you find a sisal carpet that’s just right for you and your home. We’ll bring our mobile showroom right to you, filled with hundreds of carpet samples. We’ll provide a free proposal, estimate, and even go over different financing options. Contact us today to schedule your free in-home consultation. We proudly serve the greater Mahwah, Paramus, Wayne, and North Jersey areas.